spur.jpg
  The Texaco warehouse at the rear of the lot was built in Spur, Texas in 1928 and that company opened its agency in the building on January 4, 1929.  Spur is located about 70 miles east of Lubbock, and this structure sat at the very end of the line of the Stamford & Northwestern Railroad, which reached the community in 1909.  This rail line would become a part of the Burlington Line System in later years.  The warehouse was built to receive bulk shipments of gasoline, kerosene and lubricating oil, all delivered by rail at a time when there were no paved roads serving the community, and was one of more than 2000 local agencies serving what was then called “The Texas Company” but later known simply as “Texaco”.  The primary customers of this agency included many large ranches in the area.  Within 50 years the agency would close, a victim of the same consolidation seen by the railroads, and the building sat vacant for 20 years until moved here in 1999. 
Texaco Bldg 1.jpg
Texaco Bldg 2.jpg
spur2.jpg
20161219123155_001_sm.jpg
20161219123450_001_sm.jpg
20161219123538_001_sm.jpg
20161219123643_001_sm.jpg
20161219123736_001_sm.jpg
20161219123859_001_sm.jpg
20161219123944_001_sm.jpg
20161219124027_001_sm.jpg
prev / next