The Texas Compound is a real estate development project anticipated to require fifty years for completion. The project commenced in 1984 with the acquisition of a Santa Fe Railroad Depot at San Saba, Texas which was set for retirement and demolition. This building was purchased from the Atchinson, Topeka, and Santa Fe Depot for $1 per square foot and moved to 9120 Highway 290 West, Austin Texas in the summer of 1986. At that time this location was out in the country, far beyond the Austin city limits. Later acquisitions included smaller Santa Fe outbuildings from Coleman, Cleburne, Sagnor and Barnhart along with box cars obtained from Cameron and Miama, Texas. These railroad structures have been leased continuously since 1986 to a Purina Feed dealer.
In later years, additional acreage was purchased in the same block, to the west, and the project has continued. Later acquisitions include the Santa Fe Railroad Depot from Dumas Texas, the United Oilfleld Supply warehouse from Snyder Texas, Texaco bulk fuel warehouses from McCamey Texas and Spur Texas. Three "Texas Zephyr" Railroad passenger cars, and two Southern Pacific "Sunset Limited" passenger cars. Currently (Spring 2015) we are relocating the old National Oilfield Supply warehouse from a ghost town in the Permian Basin named Midkiff, to the site. This structure was built in 1944, when wartime steel availability for civilian purposes was quite limited. The original corrugated iron for this structure was so deteriorated that it is being given a new skin upon restoration.
An application has been submitted for a site development permit to enable the location and restoration on vacant acreage to the immediate west of four more West Texas structures and two more railroad cars.
Thematically, this project represents the world of men at work in West Texas between 1900 and 1950. All of the structures and railroad cars are restored for lease to commercial tenants.